Sunday 1 April 2012

Proper Patching - Brockholes NR LWT - 1st April 2012

What an awesome day on the patch! Arriving at 9am, I checked Main Pool(/Meadow Lake if you're not pre-LWT) and No1 producing 12 Little Ringed Plover, Knot, Green Sandpiper, 8 Ringed Plover, 14 Redshank and 4 Gadwall.
Whilst doing a raptor scan from the Motorway hide, I picked up on a familiar harsh call and looked up to see my first Sandwich Tern at Brockholes! It called twice and flew off strongly east, at which point I lost it in front of the sun whilst trying to photograph it. This is a really good record for the site and is only about the 6th or 7th record.
I moved off to the east of the site where I joined Bill Aspin and continued with the raptor scanning. Observing all day with the occasional refreshment break and sit down, I saw at least 4 Swallow and about 70 Sand Martin. At 15.23, I was scanning east when I picked up a raptor flying north at 15.23. It was an Osprey! Result! It was only in view for about 40 seconds, but as always, it was a real thrill to see it!
Continuing the scanning after this buzz, I picked up a small raptor over the river south of the car park. I thought it was a Kestrel at first, but the flight wasn't quite right. It was a Merlin. I flew rather strongly north overhead and allowed me to fire off a couple of record shots right into the sun. Only my 2nd record for Brockholes.
I ended the day spending 2 hours in the south eastern corner of Main Pool looking for the ever present Cetti's Warbler. A couple of Chiffchaff and Wren in the reeds got my adrenaline pumping, but sadly, no sign of the Cetti's Warbler. I really do NEED to get this bird before it disappears!

09.20-18.20: The longest I've spent on-site for a long time and it was really worth the sore back and tired legs! Patching at it's best!

No comments: