Tuesday 10 April 2012

2cy Little Gull - Brockholes NR LWT, Lancs SD585305 - 10th April 2012



Despite the excellent passage conditions with strong westerlies and regular showers, there was no wader passage at all this morning at Brockholes. This Little Gull dropped in during one of the heavy showers at 13.05. Watching this bird and comparing it to yesterday's bird, I personally thought that it was less advanced in its moult than yesterday's bird. The dark markings on the upper wing seemed more extensive and the carpal bar seemed broader. I would like to compare my photos with any photos of yesterday's bird.
At 11.25, I scanned south of the ribble and noticed all the gulls had lifted. I saw a bird of prey in amongst them that was noticeably chunky, so when it banked and revealed a pale chest, I new straight away that I was watching my 8th Osprey of the year! Fantastic!
It suddenly descended and went out of view below the trees and appeared to head down to the river. This was the last I saw of the bird.
With further westerlies and showers forecast for the next couple of days, I would like to continue my patch work before I head back into my final term of the year at Bangor on Saturday.

No comments: