Sunday 3 April 2011

Spring in full-swing - Caernarfon, Gwynedd - 3rd April 2011

adult male Chiffchaff 1st winter male Goldcrest adult female Blackcap adult male Song Thrush
A superb mornings ringing was enjoyed in Caernarfon at Arthur's farm for my second time. When I first ringed at the site in late January, the feeders were full to the rafters with tits (mainly Blue), whereas this time, it was somewhat quieter with 41 birds caught from 5 nets instead of the 130+ caught last time.
With Spring well and truly underway currently, I had the wonderful job of handling 4 species 'unfamilar' to me in the hand. (Photographed above) We caught 10 Chiffchaff, all of which were male and they were a delight to ring as they generally were peaceful and they really are beautiful little things. Talking of small things, you don't get much smaller than the last bird of the day - Goldcrest. This was a tiny bird and one that I had trouble holding due to their tiny size. Something a little easier to hold was Song Thrush which was a lovely warm colour and what I believe to be, along with Redwing, the perfect size. My second species of warbler that I got to ring was Blackcap which was a lot bigger than I expected so interesting in that respect.

Totals for the day - 41 birds (14 Species) - 10 Chiffchaff, 9 Blue Tit, 5 Great Tit, 4 Dunnock, 2 Robin, 2 Long-tailed Tit, 2 Coal Tit, 1 Blackbird, 1 Song Thrush, 1 Blackcap, 1 Chaffinch, 1 Bullfinch, 1 Goldfinch, 1 Goldcrest.


I really enjoyed this mornings ringing as it was nice to be able to use AA rings for a change, as I am not especially used to this size.

Thanks go to Steve and Rachel for the invite and training and also to Arthr for allowing the ringing to take place and for the lovely cups of tea which never go a miss!

No comments: