Friday, 3 August 2012

Kvismare fågelstation, Sweden - Day 22


Moulting adult Tree Sparrow

Today my parents came to visit me whilst on a Scandanavian break, so I was their tour guide for the day. I had a few targets to show them for the day:
  • Osprey: Being a Brockholes birder, they know all about me and Ospreys, so I was keen to show them some. We weren't disappointed as we got views of 6 all at the same time and reasonably close quarters at Vallen. 
  • Adders: Of course, regular readers of this blog will know all about Adders, so I was very keen to show my very worried mother that Adders are in fact beautiful animals and not at all scary (unless you're a bit of a tool!) We saw 5 at Vallen.
  • Common Crane: As Kvismaren is home to a lot of Cranes, I was again keen to show them this species and we were about to see 7 birds throughout the day, which is nothing compared to the reserve's total population, but still nice.
  • White-tailed Eagle: I would give a reason why I wanted to show my parents this species, but there need not be a reason! Such an impressive bird should be seen by everyone! We were able to see the male sat on his perch/tree at Hammarmaden.
  • Ringing: Working as an assistant ringer here at Kvismaren, a visit wouldn't be complete without a ringing demonstration. We put up 3 nets in the garden and after 2 birdless net rounds, the nerves started to set in. The 3rd net round however produced a 3cy+ female Chaffinch and the above moulting adult Tree Sparrow, which was a 'Swedish ringing tick' for me. Lovely birds to handle.
  • Beavers: The final target of the day was to see a Beaver as Sweden is quite famous for its wood-chomping rodents. We stood on the bridge overlooking the canal by Öby Kulle at 9pm. Before too long, we saw a blob and a ripple in the water and we were watching a lovely Beaver. It swan closer and got out the water, allowing us to see its charasmatic tail and all down to 70ft! A real treat!
All in all, it was a really enjoyable day and nice to see my parents after 3 weeks away. Reminded me somewhat of reality!

3 comments:

Blogger said...

Did you think about exchanging with the ultimate Bitcoin exchange company - YoBit.

Blogger said...

On Free Bitcoin you can get free satoshis. 8 to 22 satoshis every 5 minutes.

Blogger said...

If you're looking to BUY bitcoins online, PAXFUL is the best source for bitcoins as it allows buying bitcoins by 100's of payment methods, such as MoneyGram, Western Union, PayPal, Visa, MasterCard, American Express and they even allow exchanging your gift cards for bitcoins.