Saturday 14 July 2012

Kvismare fågelstation, Sweden - Day 1 & 2


1cy Thrush Nightingale
Adult Icterine Warbler (above and below)

Common Cranes
Osprey

I arrived at Kvismaren yesterday after a very long commute from Manchester Airport. Arriving at Kvismare for c8pm I didn't have too long to get acquainted with the grounds but still managed to see White-tailed Eagle, Black Tern, Common Crane, Spotted Flycatchers, flava Yellow Wagtails and heard Quail.
We woke up this morning at 03.15 for CES at the largest lake on the site. Here I had my first lifer of the trip which was Thrush Nightingale. We caught several juveniles throughout the morning and they were really stunning birds despite the bad press they sometimes get! I managed to handle 3 new species (in terms of ringing) this morning in the form of Icterine Warbler (A stunning adult bird that was very striking indeed), Marsh Tit and Garden Warbler. In addition to this we caught Robin, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Willow Warbler, Blackcap, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Blackbird, Song Thrush, Reed Bunting, Goldfinch, Chaffinch and several Pied Flycatcher
Non-ringing highlights were fishing Osprey, White-tailed Eagle, lots of Common Crane around the reserve, Goshawk, Hobby, summer plumage Red-necked Grebe and Slavonian Grebe, Bar-tailed Godwit, Grey Plover, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Black Woodpecker.
After tea we headed out to try and catch some Bearded Tits but the rain soon came in and prevented us from catching. I did however see my first Penduline Tit which was a very cute juvenile with a cream head calling fromt he top of a bullrush head. In addition to this I saw my first Adder of the trip which was sat out in the open providing fantastic views. Today happens to mark the 1 year anniversary of my Adder bite in 2011 and this is the first one I have seen since the bite! Very weird! I'm glad to say the only lasting impression this one left was on my memory card!
I will try and update my blog every day of ringing totals and other ornithological and non-ornithological highlights.

No comments: