Saturday 2 June 2012

Puffin Island: Birding - 2nd June 2012

One of my favourite aspects of Puffin Island is that you get so close to some of our most beautiful and charismatic bird species. It's great to be among Guillemot, Razorbill, Puffin, Shag, Fulmar and Kittiwake. This year I thought I'd bring my camera along and try and get some snaps whilst we were waiting to move on from one spot to another.

Birds are flying around all the time so provide regular opportunities for flight shots. This was my best.

Guillemots (especially 'bridled'), although not as jet black as Razors, I think think have to be my favourite British Auk. They are just so lovely and their chicks look like Pingu!
Whereas Bempton Cliffs and South Stack provide distant views of Puffins on cliff faces, Puffin Island provides occasional views like this of Puffins where they are incredibly close, sometimes less than 20 feet away which is fantastic as their almost fluorescent legs really get shown off.
Razorbills are everywhere around the island and look very very smart indeed, but this close up, you can see why they are call Razorbills! Fantastic birds, full of character
Shag are probably the most abundant bird on the island being present in almost every crevice you come across. Adults occasionally sit tight allowing very close up views.

I'm really glad I brought my camera this year as it seems a shame to waste the opportunity!

No comments: