Sunday 25 March 2012

First of the migrants!

 My first traditional summer migrants have now been seen in North Wales with a plethora of singing Chiffchaff, stop-off Wheatears on the Orme, as well as much more resident species such as Redpoll, 'alba' wagtails, Meadow Pipits, Siskin and Goldcrest all moving over. Earlier in the week, I also did a did a raptor-scan from the harbour (accompanied by the above Rock Pipit), because the evening prior, I saw my earliest ever Osprey flying north over Bangor.  
 The Great Orme produced this fantasic male Black Redstart which is the first migrant of this plumage I have seen which was excellent! It was a very timid bird though and flushed even if you were 100 feet away, so we viewed from a distance and was to appreciate this fantastic bird. We sadly missed a male Ring Ouzel though which was a shame, as I love seeing early Rouzels!



I'm back in Preston now and at 18.08, I locked eyes onto my 2nd Osprey of the Spring, and it's only the 25th March! Incredible!
I will be back at Brockholes tomorrow with the intension of spotting more migrants including hirundines of which I am yet to see, even though it's almost April!

No comments: