Wednesday 28 March 2012

Colourful Tits!

As part of my dissertation project, I am exploring the territorial behaviour of Blue Tits when it comes to collecting nesting material. I am doing this by placing 10 differently coloured sheep wool samples in 10 territories.
As a control, to ensure that there is no colour-preference where certain colours are not used because of their brightness, or association with other materials, I have placed small samples of all 10 colours - Light Blue, Dark Blue, Yellow, Red, Pink, Lilac, Black, Brown, Green, Orange.
The Blue Tit photographed above has already used the wool (even though it's only March 28th!) and has taken Brown, Orange, Yellow, Pink and Red from the samples.

I literally can't wait to both start my Atherton Woods experiments, and to also check the next box in my neighbour's garden at the end of the season to see the psychedelic lining! 

No comments: