Tuesday 24 December 2013

Brockholes patch tick - 22nd Decemeber 2013

Back in 2007, I took the above image of an apparent golden blur. It was however not a golden blur in reality, but a Jack Snipe flushed on the now Boilton Marsh at Brockholes. It worries me somewhat that this is to date the best photo of Jack Snipe I have taken in flight...

I therefore set out on Sunday with the intention to end my patch visit walking around Boilton Marsh trying to get a slightly improved photo of Jack Frost.

I managed to flush a few birds including 4 Common Snipe and 6 Wren, but no Jack Snipe. HOWEVER! I had more than a consolation flush in the form of a small warbler. At first I thought it was going to be another Wren, but as it flew it had a large fanned tail and made a tacking noise. It flew up from some juncus and into a Willow. It turned side on and I suddenly realise this grey and chestnut warbler was not a Wren, but a Cetti's Warbler! It started calling away and each time it did, I thought it was the first note of one of my favourite songs, but it failed to do so. Back in early 2012, I was at uni when the first record was present for a long time and I happened to get back the day after it was never seen again! This therefore makes up for a very depressing dip back then!

Other sightings from the afternoon:
1425 Black-headed Gull, 1 Blackbird, 8 Blue Tit, 1 Buzzard, 11 Canada Goose, 2 Carrion Crow,  7 Chaffinch, 2 Common Gull, 236 Coot, 12 Cormorant, 2 Dunnock, 59 Gadwall, 1 Goldcrest, 5 Goldeneye, 3 Great Black-backed Gull, 1 Great Crested Grebe, 3 Great Tit, 5 Grey Heron, 7 Herring Gull, 1 Kestrel, 19 Long-tailed Tit, 5 Magpie, 161 Mallard, 5 Meadow Pipit, 1 Moorhen, 18 Mute Swan, 1 Pied Wagtail, 1 Pochard, 2 Reed Bunting, 2 Robin, 1 Shoveler, 6 Snipe, 83 Teal, 27 Tree Sparrow, 43 Tufted Duck, 1 Woodpigeon, 12 Wren 

No comments: