Thursday 26 December 2013

Boxing Day Ringing - 26th December 2013

 My first full grown Collared Dove
 Adult male Greenfinch
One of 9 Goldfinch

Excellent morning's bird ringing in my garden. With the horrendous weather in the lead up to Christmas, I really didn't expect to be doing any more ringing in 2013, but a lovely frosty Boxing Day morning changed my plans!

Highlight was probably a 1st winter Collared Dove aged on a retained secondary and presumably unmoulted alula (however can't seem to find this in the literature...). This was new to my permit and my first 'adult' that I've handled. Lovely birds, but not as big as I thought they'd be!

Also managed to catch a nice group of 9 Goldfinch and 2 Greenfinch. 4 Blue Tits (1 retrap), House Sparrow and a retrap Dunnock added to a list that contributed to a great morning post-Turkey!

Merry Christmas Blogger!

No comments: