Wednesday 18 September 2013

Footit season resumes! - 18th September 2013

Male Kingfisher in Bangor Harbour
Sandwich Tern on the old Dickies Boatyard
As I wasn't able to get my jobs done until half 11 today, I went down to Bangor Harbour/Town Beach to do a spot of foot it listing. I competed in the January challenge, but decided it made me a better birder as you look at literally everything. I therefore decided to carry it on throughout the year and hope to see as many species as possible.
I arrived at high tide, so the only gulls I could really grill were a flock of 100+ Black-headed Gulls on the old Dickies Boatyard. There were about 10 Herring Gulls, 2 Sandwich Terns and a juvenile Lesser Black-back, but not much else.
Scanning Town Beach, I came across the roosting waders and even with the naked eye, I could spot the white plumage of a single Greenshank in amongst them, plus a Black-tailed Godwit.
Next I had 42 Greylags in 3 flocks fly SW over the town, and then scanning the Menai, picked up an Arctic Tern with 7  Common Tern which was a footit tick. (I didn't really do much coastal birding in the Spring due to fieldwork)
Walking back towards Bangor city, I heard a piping, which was shortly followed by a blue flash. A Kingfisher! It flew around the bay and landed on the railings by the old Dickies boatyard after being harassed by Carrion Crows. A bird that I've been looking for in the area all year, but has eluded my list until this morning
Not an amazing morning, but nice to see some good birds.

No comments: