Sunday 24 April 2011

Patching with the masses - Brockholes Quarry - 24th April 2011

Brockholes LWT is now an open nature reserve and today saw the first time it was open to the public. I arrived at the top of Boilton Wood at 09.30 and began looking for migrants on the playing fields and slowly descended onto the reserve. I had a Tree Pipit overhead calling at 09.44 with a smattering of singing warblers in the wood.
I made my way around the back of the reserve staying clear of the visitor centre to check the pools whilst they were still quiet. 12 LRP, 4 Ringed plover, 2 Redshank and a Common Sandpiper were all present on the island of no2
No! This is not a mass twitch!
There were guided walks throughout the whole day which seemed popular. I would estimate that there were at least 2000 people there today which, for a Brockholes regular from the pre-LWT days, was rather surreal.

I wanted to find something impressive for the wardens to show the crowds so I was scanning almost constantly. At 14.30 (6 hours after arriving) I spotted a distant Osprey flying north in the Ribble Valley, but sadly I was the only observer so couldn't show the masses!
I'm guessing the crowds will disperse, so it won't be quite so hectic in future visits, but as far as I can tell, this will only be a good thing for the site!

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Did you know you can shorten your links with Shortest and receive $$$$$ for every visit to your short urls.