Friday 27 July 2007

Fylde Coast Trip - Lancashire - 27th July 2007

I went sea watching today off Starr gate, which was quite productive due to the strong Westerlies. After this sea watch I went to Knott End and Glasson as my Grandma offered to meet me at Starr Gate after I had Finished.

Starr gate

got the train from Preston at 08.18 and arrived at Sqires gate at 08.45 and bagan Sea Watching shortly after. It was slow to begin with but it soon picked up with 3 Man Shearwater heading south, I ended up with at least 16 at the end of the watch. during the course of the Sea Watch I picked up on 6 Arctic Skua, including 2 pale phase bird in pursuite of a Sandwich Tern, I think the large number of Arctic Skua was due to the large number of Tern going through. I also had a juv Skua sp which i thought could have been a Pom, but on arrival back home I realised this was way to early for Juvinille Pomarine Skuas. I finally got my first Lifer for the day - a Storm Petrel. A single bird flew south, slowly struggling in the wind.
Also:
2 Great Crested grebe flew North, Male Red Breasted Merganser, 5 Gannet, 26 Common Scoter, 15 Knot south.

Knott End

A Bit late for the Gulls at High tide, but there were still some Sandwich Terns about in a group including an Adult Arctic Tern, which was nice.

Glasson

Condor Pool was empty due to work going on by the viewing platform, but Glasson itself held the returning Adult Yellow Legged Gull. (2nd for Lancashire this week!)

1 comment:

Stuart Price said...

As a Prestonian abroad it's nice to read blogs like yours. The birds seem to be much better than I was on the Ribble 20 years ago..........

White Tailed Plover indeed! Whatever next?