Sunday 5 January 2014

Anyone would think I was doing a big year!

 1 of 2 Siberian Chiffchaff
 VERY unseasonal Northern Wheatear on 1st Jan!
 One of many skeins of Pink-feet
 Worst photo of all time.... female Two-barred Crossbill
 Female Parrot Crossbill
Male Parrot Crossbill
female Ring-necked Duck

A remarkable start to 2014 saw Matt Bruce and I head alllll around 'Northern' England to tot up 125 species in just 4 days. By far my best start to a year.

We covered over 600 miles visiting Cheshire, Lancashire, Greater Manchester, South Yorkshire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire, Rutland, Warwickshire, Northants, West Midlands and Staffordshire!

Highlights have come in the form of my first ever 3 (2m & f) Two-barred Crossbills, 8 Parrot Crossbills, f Ring-necked Duck, 2 drake Smew, Long-eared Owl, 3 Barn Owl, 4 Long-tailed Duck, Black-throated Diver, Great Northern Diver, Black Redstart, 3 Black-necked Grebe, Bearded Tit, Scaup, Little Gull. Also 2 Otter at Marton Mere, Lancashire!

Considering I've not done any seawatching, these highlights show the quality of Midlands reservoir watching!

I also got sound recording equipment for Christmas, so I managed to test it on Two-barred Crossbill and was really happy with the results.


An impossibly tiring few days, but boy were they amazing! Thanks Matt for driving the whole way and making it so epic!

2 comments:

Early Worm said...

Bostick...

Zac Hinchcliffe said...

I feel that's fairly accurate :P