Wednesday 4 May 2011

Kentish Plover - Cockersands, Lancashire - 4th May 2011

It's been a long time since the Fylde has had a Kentish Plover, but on May 3rd, a stunning female was found off Plover Scar at Cockersands. I was unable to get there so I had to hope the clear sky that brought it in, didn't take it away again overnight.
I was up early this morning heading north up the M6. I was greeted by a mixed flock of 150+ Dunlin and Ringed Plover when I got to Cockersands. It just had to be in here! An hour went by however, and I just couldn't locate it. After an hours searching, I was joined by Keith Sharrock, Peter Ross and Len Knowles, the latter located the plover in less than a minutes scanning...how did I miss it!
This lovely wader showed superbly in the mornings sun. It was a lovely pallid colour which stood out with the naked eye on occasions. It was noticeably smaller than the Ringed Plover with a lovely subtle markings and clockwork legs. A joy to watch and a well overdue British lifer for me.
In 2010 I was year listing and by the end of August I had seen 1 new bird however by May 4th 2011, I have seen 6 already!

No comments: